Unit Emblem AFB Langebaanweg

AFB Langebaanweg
 

             

 
 

 Vision and Mission

VISION

The leading Air Force Base in military flying training and support.

MISSION

We provide, through excellence and innovation, professional flying training to the SAAF and support the West Coast military fraternity.

Top

 Value System

MILITARY PROFESSIONALISM

We conduct military aviation activities in a disciplined, professional and safe manner.

HUMAN DIGNITY

We value our air Force members and treat them with respect, tolerance, fairness and dignity.

INTEGRITY

We believe in doing the right things right first time around, even if no one is looking.

LOYALTY

We pledge allegiance to the SAAF.

ACCOUNTABILITY

We are committed to responsibility, reliability, legality and morality.

CREATIVITY

We encourage innovation and creative thinking.

Top

 Contact Details

POSTAL ADDRESS
AFB Langebaanweg
Private Bag
Langebaanweg
7375

TELEPHONE NUMBER
(022) 706-2101/2255

FAX NUMBER
(022) 706-2348

Top

 History

Planning for the building of an aerodrome at Langebaanweg started in 1942. During 1942/43 Colonel Hughes of the SAIC started surveying the area for the building of the aerodrome which would be called Air Force Station Congella – Langebaan Section, as it would be under the command of the flying boat squadron of AFS Congella in Durban.

The aerodrome was officially proclaimed in the Government Gazette dated 5 April 1946. Although the base was originally developed to counter the German/Japanese submarine threat, its first role was a training unit. On 1 August 1946 the name of the station was changed to the "Bomber Gunnery and Air Navigation School"(BG & ANS) The first aircraft a Anson landed at the base during February 1946.

The BG & ANS was renamed Air Force Station Langebaanweg on 14 April 1947 and the BG & ANS became a unit on the station. In the same year the first Harvard and Ventura aircraft arrived.

The first Spitfires arrived at Langebaanweg during 1948. During the period 1950 to 1953 the pilots who went to Korea with 2 Squadron were trained on Spitfires before they left.

The first Vampires (first jet aircraft in the SAAF) arrived in October 1952 and the Air Operational School (AOS) and Air Navigation School was founded. From then on until 1967 advanced flying training was done on Harvards and Vampires. The Air Navigation School moved to Ysterplaat in 1953.

On 1 December 1957, 17 Squadron (previously an MR squadron with Venturas), was reformed at Langebaanweg as the SAAF"s first helicopter squadron, with two S-55 and one S51 Sikorsky helicopters. In July 1961 17 Squadron with the new Allouette 2 helicopters moved to Ysterplaat.

The first Impala aircraft landed at the base on 11 May 1966. On 2 October 1967 AOS and the Vampires were transferred to AFB Pietersburg. AFS Langebaanweg name changed to Flying Training School Langebaanweg in February 1968.

Since 1980 only the pupil pilots that were chosen for the fighter line were sent to FTS Langebaanweg for the second half of their wings course.

On 28 March 1983 FTS Langebaanweg was renamed Air Force Base Langebaanweg.

On 1 January 1982 Air Navigation School (now known as 80 Air Navigation School – 80 ANS), was transferred from AFB Ysterplaat back to AFB Langebaanweg, after nearly thirty years.

The creation of a new unit, namely 83 Jet Flying School (83 Jet FS) was approved on 12 November 1982. On 6 February 1984 this new unit was established at AFB Langebaanweg and took over all jet flying training in the SAAF. During March 1985, 7 Squadron, a Ground Attack squadron equipped with Impala MkI and MkII aircraft, was transferred from DF Malan airport to AFB Langebaanweg.

With the independence of South West Africa in 1990 and the end of the Bush war, Langebaanweg didn’t escape the rationalisation process in the Air Force. In December 1990, 80 ANS moved to AFB Ysterplaat. In December 1992, 7 Squadron and 83 Jet Flying School disbanded. The Impalas transferred to 8 Squadron, at AFB Bloemspruit and 85 CFS at AFB Hoedspruit.

In December 1992, the Central Flying School (CFS) moved from Dunnottar to Langebaanweg with 100 Harvard aircraft. On 1 January 1993 the unit’s name changed to Central Flying School. Langebaanweg took over the badge and motto of CFS.

The first Pilatus Astra aircraft, the new training aircraft of the SAAF, arrived in October 1994. During 1995 the Air Force celebrated its 75th Birthday. On 4 March 1995 the unit held an open day and 30 000 people attended. On 26th October the last Wings Parade was held with the Harvard as training aircraft. The departure of the Harvard took place on 17 November 1995. The function was held over three days. During the function a formation of 55 Harvard aircraft flew over the unit.

In 1998, the CFS was developed into a General Suport Base (GSB) for all West Coast units. The Flying School became CFS and the Base Aircraft Servicing Section became 8 Aircraft Servicing Unit (8 ASU), while the unit as itself once again became an Air Force Base. In 2002 2 ASU from AFB Ysterplaat and 8 ASU combined to became 2 ASU.

The Base motto is "Tenax Propisiti Vinco" – Through Tenacity Comes Success.

Print Version    Top